Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Peaceful Church in Haiti


Church in Haiti

Though I rarely go to church here in the U.S., going to Sunday worship during my mission trips in Haiti and Nicaragua were among the highlights of my trips there. The church in Nicaragua wasn't much more than a concrete three-walled garage. The top of the walls didn't meet the roof, so a breeze blew through, waving the sheer white curtains hung on the cinder block windows. The congregation was dressed in their finest, and the sermon was humbly delivered in Spanish. As the children sang to the accompaniment of a guitar player, I felt truly grateful to witness the beauty of the the moment.

I felt that way again while attending church service in Haiti. The pink-painted walls and homemade decorations were joyously hung. The minister was soft spoken and the congregation was kind and welcoming. When they began singing hymns in Haitian Creole accompanied by simple hand-clapping, I felt blessed to be there among them.

That feeling of peacefulness was nearly ruined when a visiting Hellfire and brimstone minister from Kentucky took the pulpit and began evangelizing and shouting the message of God. I could sense that the translator was uncomfortable repeating his words and the children in the pews could not stifle their giggles. I was embarrassed to be associated with him and remembered what I don't like about church in America. If our churches were as serene, humble and unassuming as those I visited in Haiti and Nicaragua, I'd be at church every Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment