Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Nutcracker


This lion nutcracker was at the entrance to the Cincinnati Zoo's
Festival of Lights.

Last night we went to see the Cincinnati Ballet's performance of "The Nutcracker." I sat there near tears feeling so incredibly fortunate to be able to enjoy the artistry of those highly-skilled ballet dancers along with the music of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. The sets were beautiful. The dancing was exquisite, and I felt chills race down my spine as I listened to Tchaikovsky. I am a very lucky woman.

As we left, we were pushed along with the crowd hurrying to our cars in the 20-degree cold. We passed a homeless woman and I wanted to stop and dig through my purse to give her something, but was swept up with the swarm of people moving briskly down the sidewalk. I wanted to give the woman what I'd been given that evening: a chance to dress up and go out for a wonderful dinner at a nice restaurant, expensive tickets to a metropolitan ballet, rich chocolate truffles and the magic of "The Nutcracker." In truth, I would have only given her a few dollars. Nothing compared to the riches I'd enjoyed last night. But I wish I had stopped and shared something.

No comments:

Post a Comment