Friday, August 11, 2017

Book Review of The New York Times: Footsteps





The New York Times: Footsteps


As a travel blogger, I completely understand how a place can shape a person's writing. It's why I write about travel; because places move and inspire me. The same obviously holds true for the authors studied in this book. Having another writer "walk a mile in their shoes" is such an invaluable look at what the author's may have felt and experienced while living in a place.

I've done that myself once. I traveled to Monroeville, Alabama and walked the abandoned streets where Harper Lee and Truman Capote spent their hot, summer childhoods. I sat in the spot where their treehouse stood (or as close to it as I could get) and imagined the view of small town life from there. The slow-moving rhythm of the Deep South and the prejudices and beliefs of the people who lived there. I've already written about it and thoroughly enjoyed reading what other writers had to say about the places these illustrious writers brought to life in their works.

Highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment