Friday, April 29, 2011

Like A Fairytale


The Princess and the Queen
at the Ohio Renaissance Festival

I woke up and floated dreamlike to England; to Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, and the entire fairytale kingdom. I watched Kate and the Queen emerge from their cars while the whole world watched and I thought, "I wish that were me."

I was painfully shy as a girl and was never the type that wanted to be in the spotlight. I never wanted fanfare or any type of pomp and circumstance. Even during the big events of my life, I kept things quiet and low-key, simple and down-to-earth. But I've changed. I listened to those bells pealing for hours announcing that this day was different than others. I listened to those bells ring out through the land telling everyone to stop living their ordinary lives for a moment. This day was special.

I want those bells. I want the fairytale. I want a thousand lanterns to float through the sky on my birthday. So, I told my daughter.

I woke her up to come downstairs and watch the wedding. She wasn't especially interested in it until suddenly, she saw Kate's fairytale coming to life. She heard the bells and saw the dress. She watched as Kate and William rode off in their carriage with grand royal horses leading the way, and flags waving in their honor. Riveted, she wanted the fairytale, too.

For the first time, she talked about her dreams for her own wedding someday. No, she probably won't be in a carriage riding toward a palace while the whole world watches, but she has discovered that she wants to feel like that princess; that she wants the pomp and circumstance and the limelight. I can't wait for her fairytale wedding to happen. Bells will peal out across the land. She can be the Princess, and I will be the Queen.

1 comment:

  1. I think those of us that grew up with Princess Diana, and then the tragedy of her death, and then watched her sons grow up -- I think for us this day was the fairytale ending.

    But for Kate and William, I hope it was a fairytale *beginning* -- and I hope they make it.

    ReplyDelete