Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Royal Wedding

Mine may not have been a royal wedding,
but my Prince made our wedding cake and
I certainly felt like a Princess.


Any time a blurb about Kate Middleton and Prince William comes on TV, my husband yells out, "Who cares?!" and I blink at him and reply, "The whole world. How can you not care?" And he goes into a tirade about the news making a big deal out of nothing. Now, this is a man who will stop to read Civil War monuments stuck in a field of grass. I cannot understand why he doesn't see the historical significance of a royal wedding that will likely produce more heirs to the throne. But he doesn't.

Imagine my astonishment when our lives and daily conversations were then suddenly played out on an episode of "The Middle." We were Frankie and Mike. My husband and I laughed our heads off because they almost said our lines verbatim.

I have not bought a commemorative plate and cup like Frankie did, but that's an oversight on my part. I did buy a souvenir thimble when Charles and Diana got married. It is still displayed on the thimble shelf in my bathroom. I watched Princess Diana's wedding from start to finish and have every intention of getting up in the middle of the night to see Kate and William tie the knot. Luckily, I don't have to work on Friday. The only difference between my house and the Hecks is that I'm not going out to buy a big screen TV for the event.

But there are other similarities between my house and the Hecks. Sometimes it's eerie. I feel like the writers of the show are spying on my life. My brother used to do the weird whispering/repeating thing that Brick does. He eventually outgrew it. Axl reminds me of my teen-aged son who also ran around the house in his underwear and had to be told to put on a shirt for dinner. Sue --well, I don't want to compare myself to Sue, but I probably could.

What can I say? Like the Hecks, I live in the 'Middle.' Not Indiana, but close enough to it. And like Frankie, I will set my alarm for 2:30am this Friday and get up to watch the wedding of the century. Because it is important, Mike. How can anyone not understand that?



3 comments:

  1. I have no intention of watching live, but I'm looking forward to the pics and clips online the next day. I think the world feels like we've watched William grow up, which was made especially poignant after his beloved mother died, and so this is the "fairytale" ending that we all wanted for him.

    (Note that I said that's how it feels, not what it is. Lol.)

    But dood, your husband MADE your cake!? That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. He made it back in his baker days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband is Peeta (Hunger Games)...he's the boy with the bread (cake)!! I am going to watch the wedding the next day, I think. I remember Diana's, although I don't know how I remember because I was kind of little. Perhaps I made it all up! It has been known to happen.

    ReplyDelete