Friday, October 15, 2010

The Bean - A Narcissist's Dream

Millennium Park in Chicago

I think this is my favorite sculpture in the world. It's commonly known as "The Bean," because of its kidney-bean shape, but its official name is "Cloud Gate." Apparently the artist, Anish Kapoor, hates the fact that everyone refers to it as "The Bean." His inspiration was actually liquid mercury.

I think it should be called "Narcissist's Dream." People can look at their shiny reflections for hours! I didn't think my husband would ever stop circling the sculpture, looking at himself smaller, then taller, then concavely and convexly. The kids and I liked seeing our distorted images, too, but also enjoyed the reflections of the city we could see in the sculpture.

So, relax Anish! No matter what anyone calls it, this fun piece of art is a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment