Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sophomore Nerves



November is quickly approaching, and that means it's time for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). During NaNoWriMo, participants write a 50,000-word novel between November 1st-30th. Writers get periodic motivational emails, encouraging them to keep going no matter how "craptastic" their novels are. (I love that word.) The idea is to get writers to sit down and write without self-editing and giving up.

I wrote my craptastic novel last year. All 50,000 words, many of which were unnecessary. I liked my novel enough to go back and start revising it. I'm still at it.

Now it's almost time for NaNoWriMo to start again. I've registered, but I'm nervous about it this time. Much more nervous than I was last year. Maybe it's because I know now what writing 50,000 words entails. I know that there will be many days when I won't want to write; when I'll want to give up on my story and forget the whole thing. Ignorance was bliss last year. NaNoWriMo was something novel to do. But this time, I'm all too aware of what I've signed up for, and I'm not at all sure I can do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment