Monday, October 11, 2010

Columbus Day


Replica of the Mayflower
I know I shouldn’t admit this, but holidays like Columbus Day always make me think of “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?” Because when it comes to history, I’m most definitely not. Everything that happened on the east coast between 1492 and 1776 is jumbled in my mind. I find most of these words interchangeable:
Columbus, Mayflower, Plymouth Rock, Puritans, Boston Tea Party, George Washington, Paul Revere, Thanksgiving,  Pilgrims, Crossing the Delaware
So in my mind, once Columbus crossed the Delaware at Plymouth Rock, he got caught up in the Puritans’ revolution in Boston. Once the pilgrims threw all the tea over the side of the Mayflower, George Washington and Paul Revere made friends with the Indians and we celebrated the first Thanksgiving.
All I can say is, Thank God I’m not a 5th grader! Because learning all of this once was painful enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment