Friday, October 22, 2010

A Macabre Suicide Conversation


This sign is posted on the Golden Gate Bridge, right next to a crisis-line phone

During a recent children's birthday party, the adults huddled in a group away from the children and discussed a recent story in the news. A woman had jumped from the top of a 5-story building. (She lived.) What surprised one of the men was that she had jumped off the back side of the building, not the front where everyone would have seen her. This started a strange discussion.

The man who brought it up said that he would have jumped from the front of the building because he would want witnesses to know that he'd been driven to this.

The women in the group tended to think they would have jumped from the back of the building, because the suicide act seemed so private. I thought that if I were really going to end my life, I would jump from the back because I wouldn't want anyone to stop me if I were serious about doing it. Not that I ever would!!!

One man said he'd jump from the back because he wouldn't want people to see him afterward. Another woman wanted to shield the public from that, too. Of course, this was all speculative anyway. None of us are suicidal, so who's to say how we would think or act if we were.

It was an odd conversation to have. Especially at a children's birthday party. I was glad to get off the subject, but found it interesting that we all approached it from a different angle. Proving that there are always different ways to think about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment