Tuesday, May 17, 2011

More Tom Swifties

An icon from the 60's
In the 1960’s, a series of books featuring a character named Tom Swift were quite popular. These books included a writing style that incorporated clever adverb puns. These are known as “Tom Swifties.”
Some examples are: "'I lost my crutches,' said Tom lamely"; and "'I'll take the prisoner downstairs', said Tom condescendingly."

Here is the second set of Tom Swifties that I’ve concocted during idle moments at my desk. (The first set can be found here: http://juliewetz-dailysnapshot.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html )


“I got my pom-poms today!” she said cheerfully.
 “This cement is hard as a rock,” he said stonily.
“Let’s say you owe me four dollars and three cents,” she said figuratively.
“I have no idea where the children are,” she said absently.
“I was scared tomorrow,” he said tensely.
“Do you want to know the answer to the clue?” he asked mysteriously.
“All of these quotes came straight from the book,” she literally told me.
“Let me give you a piece of advice,” she said suggestively.
“Too many spices in one dish can be overwhelming,” she said sagely.
“This red, green and orange Hawaiian shirt is my favorite,” he said loudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment