Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Celebrating at Breakfast Time


The Nibble (specialty foods magazine) says that July 27th is National Creme Brulee Day. Thank goodness I had some creme brulee creamer in my refrigerator. I started celebrating as soon as I woke up.

Once the coffee hit, I started to wonder how these crazy "holidays" are decided? So I looked into it. A true federal holiday (not national, as we commonly call them) is an act of Congress. There are currently 11 federal holidays, legally applicable to federal employees and the District of Columbia. If these holidays were to become national, that would be binding to all 50 states.

To form any other kind of "Day", you really just need a group to back you and a way to promote it. You can even copyright your day, if you want to take it that far. But for the most part, special days declared by special interest groups are one-offs celebrated once or twice by a small group of people before they're forgotten altogether.

I'll toss my hat into the ring. I would like to make today "Julie, You Can Go Home From Work" day. The only calendar I need to get this on is my company's. Naturally, with it being a holiday, I would still get paid.

So, I proclaim today "Julie, You Can Go Home From Work Day!" If your name is Julie, celebrate with me.

Happy National Creme Brulee Day to the rest of you!

3 comments:

  1. Lol. Creme Brulee is definitely something I am happy to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the picture, I immediately of beignets from Café du Monde. One of the only things I miss about living in Louisiana is the food. If you're ever in New Orleans, you have to go to that café for coffee and beignets. So good. (Creme Brulee is good too.)

    I love all the goofy holidays that we have, especially the one's that no one's ever heard of, like "International Fairy Day" and "National Whiner's Day".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation, Stephanie. I have been to Cafe du Monde and love it. It's definitely a must on any trip to NOLA.

    ReplyDelete