Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Gargoyle


I've had a long love affair with this gargoyle. His portrait covers one of my journals. Sometimes I stare at him for inspiration and wonder what he's thinking; what he's seeing. I have loved him from afar, and yesterday, we finally met.

I climbed the 400 winding, spiral stairs to the observation platform of Notre Dame and there he was, waiting for me. I'd passed his brothers, cousins, and casual acquaintances. I knew he'd posed for the cameras of billions of visitors before me. But at last, he was mine.

I stared at him and he stared ahead. I looked at him while he and his friends gazed over Paris.

The gargoyle's view of Paris.

3 comments:

  1. Hee! How wonderful that you finally got to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun story! It's funny how the most random things can have such sentimental value to us.

    And just so you know, your blog is kind of addicting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stephanie! That's quite a compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete