Saturday, January 26, 2013

Escape as Inspiration

Hemingway's desk
Key West, Florida
I'm in writing mode. I have millions of ideas for projects. I started working again on a novel that I'd abandoned. I shared it with my husband for critique, took his comments and started making pages of notes for revision. My friend is sending me bits and pieces of her novel. I make my suggestions and she sends me her rewrites to read. All of this is wonderful, except...

I am swamped at work. New management has caused frustration, low morale, and busy work. I'm putting in overtime and don't see an end in sight until May. I contemplate finding a new job every day. In short, work is miserable.

My renewed zeal for writing and job misery may seem like they have nothing to do with each other. But in actuality, they have everything to do with each other. I've turned to writing as my escape.

My novel is my way to leave work mentally and venture into a world of my own creation. All the extra projects/ideas/queries give me hope that I can do something I love for money. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and worth in sharp contrast to my perceived lack of being valued at work. Most of all, returning to my novel restores my dream of publication and living the life of a writer again. It lets me fantasize that I could walk into work and hand in my notice.

I'm grateful that my downward slump at work hasn't wreaked havoc with my creative juices. I'm almost surprised. But now I realize that writing provides something more than personal satisfaction for me. Like reading, it gives me a much-needed escape.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the state of things at your workplace, but at least it's pushing you into a creative place. Sometimes you just gotta hang on to that silver lining, you know? And it does sound like you're making the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing as a Silver Linings Playbook. :)

    ReplyDelete