Saturday, January 5, 2013

Moonshine Mania


DSCN0814
Lately, every time I turn around I’m hearing the word “moonshine.” I don’t know when it became so popular. I have two long-distance relatives who make it. There’s a show Moonshiners devoted to it on the Discovery channel. On a recent trip to Gatlinburg, there was a moonshine distellery shop on the main drag, complete with a live band and free samples of ALL the different kinds. And if that wasn’t enough, there was a “Moonshine Murder” mystery dinner theater show.
 
Has anyone else noticed its popularity? Or am I the only one surrounded by all this grain alcohol?

 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about "moonshine," but I have noticed there's a stronger beer culture here in the Midwest than there was in other places I lived. Like, I know several people who home-brew, and take pride in their original flavor profiles and different "labels."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I don't know any home-brewers; just moonshine makers. But maybe, like the turn toward home cooking and focus on being more 'gourmet' at home, this followed right along.

      Delete