Thursday, January 20, 2011

Head In The Clouds



How does one begin a cloud journal?
With feet firmly on the ground
And neck craned backward
Or lying flat on the ground with only sky in focus?
When should one begin --
On a pretty blue day with puffy cotton balls above
Or a dark gray day amidst thunderclaps and ferocious
Wave-like breakers bearing down?

Atmospheric phenomena
Heavens
Or merely backdrop for earth-bound scenery?

As my gaze floats toward the clouds
My thoughts cement me to the ground,
And lower,
As I ponder my mortality and the immensity
Of the universe.

But the thoughts are fleeting
Like the striated clouds above me
And my attention moves to imagery:
That one looks like a rib roast;
To the left I spy a fleecy baby’s blanket.
Those look like waves in the sea;
That pink one is decidedly shaped like a rabbit.
I could stare at the clouds all day.

But how does one begin a cloud journal?
By writing about the wispy majesty above
Or the heart-breakingly beautiful world below?

No comments:

Post a Comment