Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ich Bin Ein Berliner


This is a piece of the Berlin Wall on display at the
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base Museum

About a year ago, my boss traveled to Berlin, Germany and came back raving about a street food she’d had there called currywurst. She said there were stalls at every corner; it was touted as Berlin’s specialty. She brought home as much of the sauce as she could carry. That stash didn’t last long, so she started having her business contact in Berlin send her more.

Apparently, currywurst is a uniquely German food that sprang up in post-WWII Berlin. And now, Berlin even has a museum devoted to it: the Deutsches Currywurst Museum.  (If I find myself in Berlin, I will have to check it out.)
Anyway, my boss hosted a cocktail party last night and planned to serve the currywurst shipment she just got in. That’s all I needed to hear. I had to try it. So even though it snowed and the roads were a mess, I crawled along in traffic to her house to taste this famous German treat.
Currywurst is a grilled sausage cut up into chunks with a curry-tomato gravy – along the lines of a crockpot full of meatball snacks at parties here. It was simple and spicy and tangy. I loved it. I could have eaten the whole batch. I’ll have to find a way to order it online or find my own German contact because Currywurst ist Wunderbar!

No comments:

Post a Comment