Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Third Time's A Charm?



NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month at nanowrimo.org) starts again today. Despite my upcoming travel and heavy workload, I decided to take part again. In fact, that's exactly why I decided to participate -- so that I do not lose sight of my writing life. Work could so easily get in the way. I'm not going to let it.

I first did NaNoWriMo two years ago when I completed my 50,000-word middle-grade novel The Witch Wore Pink. That was a huge high; a great accomplishment, and is work that I continue to be proud of.

Last year I started an alien abduction mystery I titled Out Of This World, but dropped out at the 32,000-word mark. I was stuck and couldn't figure out how to finish. I wish I'd persevered. I still want to finish that novel someday.

Today begins my third NaNoWriMo. I have no idea what I plan to write. I only vaguely know that it will be adult fiction, and I have my main character's name.  But what she does and how the novel will play out is completely unknown. I'm hoping that I will find that freeing. At least freeing enough to get me to 50,000 words of craptastic fiction. (We're encouraged to write crap. It's a first draft, after all.) We'll see how it goes. Hopefully the third time's a charm.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! And you SHOULD be proud of The Witch Wore Pink. What I read of it was sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete