Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pemaquid Point



Perched atop Pemaquid Point
while angry waves pummel splintering rocks,
I am the heroine in a gothic
Jane Eyre-like tale.
I stand balanced on a cliff,
enveloped in semi-permanent fog,
listening to the rushing crash of the water.

I imagine myself as a governess
in a drab brown dress
spurned by a cruel lover;
wistfully contemplating suicide.
Or an almost-widow
peering out into the black-shrouded sea,
wondering whether her missing sailor
will spy her in the momentary spotlight
of the towering lighthouse.

Pemaquid Point calls into the darkness
jutting into the Atlantic at her own peril,
flashing her white light every six seconds
to seamen who speak her language.

But at night, the Point is mine alone
as I creep in shadow past the unwelcoming gate
and stand on the edge of a bittersweet love story
bound to end in ruins
on jagged rocks
piercing hollering waves
that prompt gothic heroines to jump.

2 comments:

  1. I love photos of lighthouses. I've only visited one and that was in maine but since I live in the south, there aren't too many of them around. Love your blog as well. Just found it and started reading. I'd love to do some writing about this and that. I have had a few books published all non fiction but would like to do some articles and one day may just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your compliments, Shirley. It means so much. I'm glad you like my blog and hope it inspires you to write about "this & that." You should! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete