Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Moral Dilemma of Wrapping Paper


Almost without exception, my daughter's school or day care asks the students to sell wrapping paper as a fundraiser. Ugh, this fundraising program is the worst, in my opinion. I'm okay with selling magazines. I'm okay with selling candy. I definitely buy books at the Book Fair. But wrapping paper? I'm just not for it.

I use wrapping paper very sparingly. I try to reserve it for little kids who are newly experiencing the thrill of ripping paper off a present. But a few birthdays/holidays is enough of that. Then I move on to gift bags that I hope and hope the recipient will re-use. I know I do, and it's not just because I'm cheap. It's mainly because I can't stand waste! Look at these statistics:

·    More than 8,000 tons of wrapping paper will be used on presents - the equivalent of 50,000 trees. If every family in the U.S. wrapped just 3 presents in re-used materials, it would save enough paper to cover 45,000 football fields.
  • Around 744 million holiday cards are sent each holiday season. If all of these cards were made of recycled paper, approximately 248,000 trees would be saved.
  • Americans throw away 25% more trash during the Thanksgiving to New Year's holiday season versus the rest of the year? That amounts to 25 million tons of garbage!

After learning this, I may do away with gift bags, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment