Friday, December 17, 2010

New Jobs

I have never worked as the target for people throwing tomatos, but would
consider doing this for a shift or two. Or any other job at the Renaissance Festival.

I’m about to start a new job – again. I’m excited, nervous, energized, and curious. I love starting new jobs and have done it frequently -- very, very frequently – over the course of my adult life. Many of my family members have laughed at my relentless pursuit of odd jobs. My stepfather used to laugh because I have several resumes, all highlighting different skills and past experiences, and I’ve never been afraid to sell myself on abilities that I’m sure I could possess.
Other family members have looked at my varied job history as one of my shortcomings, as though I have some personality disorder that makes me unable to hold a job. I’ve been the butt of many family jokes. It hasn’t been uncommon for me to hear “Where are you working now?” as the first question at a family reunion. A more grown-up version of, “What grade are you in?” That’s okay. I’m always very excited to tell them.
I’ve never understood how people can stay at the same job for 10, 20, or 30 years. (So I guess my relatives and I are even.) The idea of that scares and depresses me. To think that you could spend such a large chunk of your life doing the same thing boggles my mind. I’m in pursuit of doing as many things as possible in my allotted number of years. In fact, when I was hired at my current company five years ago, someone said, “You’ll be there until you retire!” and my heart stopped. Oh no, I wouldn’t! Since then, I’ve changed positions at the company three times. Each position is a lateral move, and is completely and utterly different. I love it.
Over the years I’ve held dozens of jobs. In fact, when I was 22, I had twelve different jobs over the course of the year. I didn’t realize it until I got all my W-2’s. The following year, I got thirteen! Most of those were menial jobs, or things I just wanted to try to see what they were like.
I’ve worked as a waitress, a zoo cashier, a door-to-door perfume saleswoman, a bank teller, an ice cream truck driver, and a UPS truck loader. I’ve worked two or three jobs at a time, switching them around as soon as new opportunities came along. That’s how I ended up being a hotel auditor, a domestic violence counselor, a restaurant reviewer, a daycare worker, a cocktail waitress, a fundraiser, a department store gift wrapper, a Hallmark card stock girl, a veterinary assistant, a file clerk, a trivia writer, a games attendant at an amusement park, a factory worker, a nurse's aide, and an administrative assistant.
Looking at Help Wanted ads practically makes me drool. I can’t help it. All those opportunities to experience new things and step into someone else’s shoes!  Because at the core of it, that’s what I’m trying to do: see what it’s like to… be a person who sells perfume door-to-door, or see what it’s like to wrap presents professionally, or serve drinks in a bar, etc., etc..
And why do I want to know what it’s like to do all those things? Because I’m a writer. Because I need inspiration and insight, and need to experience what it’s like to be, see, and do all these different things, whether I end up writing about them or not. If that amuses some of my relatives, so be it. But those closest to me understand that starting new jobs is something I’m compelled to do and is something that makes me happy. And right now, I’m pretty darned happy that I’m about to begin another exciting role!

No comments:

Post a Comment