Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Day After

A classroom in Haiti, where I doubt they take education for granted. (I am in a really foul mood.)

The election results were a disappointment in our house. Our school levy failed. Again. My first reaction on mornings like this is to think about moving. Where can we go where the residents understand and appreciate how valuable our schools are? Why don't the people in our community who don't support our schools just leave? We're a bedroom community with excellent schools. That's the main attraction in living here.

But then I just sigh, slump my shoulders, and shake my head. I live in a community where people live well beyond their means. Now, with our economy in turmoil, they can't afford the increased property taxes. Or so they claim. Let's just cut to the chase: they can't afford the houses they live in. The property taxes are just the icing on the cake.

So, it's a typical 'Day After' for me. I vacillate between wanting my nay-sayer neighbors to move, or wanting to move myself, leaving them to the scraps of education they've reduced our schools to.

I hate the day after Election Day. Someone always ends up feeling defeated, and for the past few years it's been me.

(Okay, the pity party and ranting are over.)

1 comment:

  1. I was pleased with most of the "big issue" results, but yes, the failure of the school tax levy was disappointing. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete