With temps in the 60's and sunshine (finally!), this was the perfect day to walk. I took a two-mile walk during lunch, then came home and walked again. Bliss.
Fun facts about walking:
- Given that the world is about 25,000 miles in circumference and that the average walking rate is 3 miles per hour, it would take a person walking nonstop approximately 347 days to walk around the world
- A typical pair of tennis shoes will last 500 miles of walking
- It would take, on average, 1 hour and 43 minutes of walking to burn off a 540-calorie Big Mac
- An average city block is equivalent to 200 steps
- To burn off one plain M&M candy, a person would need to walk the entire length of a football field (I'd go for the Big Mac instead)
- Chickens, pigeons, cranes, quails, and at least eight of the 27 families of birds bob their head when they walk
- In 1970, 66% of children walked to school. Today, only 13% walk.
- Every minute you walk can extend your life by 1.5 to 2 minutes
- Walking sideways burns 78 percent more calories than walking forward.
- In your lifetime you will walk about 65,000 miles — that's three times around the earth!