Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Don't-Steal-Stolen-Goods Conundrum


I drove down a back alley behind a used appliance store and saw warnings spray-painted on several old appliances: STOLEN- DO NOT TAKE.  It seemed like a riddle to me. I know I could have easily walked into the store and asked the store owner about the notes, but instead I spent my entire drive home thinking about it.

What puzzled me most is - what good are these appliances now that they've been ruined with spray paint? Is the store owner just going to trash them? Will they be returned to their owners damaged? We can assume their owners have been identified since they had to be reported stolen in the first place. The store owner obviously isn't going to sell them. Nobody is allowed to take and recycle them. The police don't seem to need them as evidence. I can't figure this out. Are the insurance companies going to collect them?

Or, most likely, are they just going to sit out back of this appliance store until someone ignores the warning and steals the stolen goods? I am oh so curious....

No comments:

Post a Comment