Wednesday, November 10, 2010

αλλαγή λαδιού


Greek Car Gods


In case you don't speak Greek and aren't sure what the title of this blog is, it's: Oil Change. Because when I get my oil changed and the attendants start asking me questions, they may as well be speaking Greek.

I can pull my car up onto the ramp, but that's where any semblance of competency ends. I shouldn't admit this, but when I went to get my oil changed today and they asked me to pop my hood, I didn't know how to. I've had my car for six years and still don't know where the hood release is. Usually I just pull up, hand over my keys and read a book in the waiting room until it's all over. That's on the few occassions when my husband doesn't take the car in for me.

But today, they promised to be quick and said I could just stay in my car. I smiled, silently cursing my husband for putting me in this predicament and longingly staring at the empty chairs in the waiting room. Three technicians worked on my car at once. They all became familiar with my deer-in-the-headlights look within minutes. They assaulted me with rapid-fire questions as they each attended to different parts of my car.

"What type of oil do you take?"
"Uh..."
"5W20 Durablend?"
"Uh...."
"Let's take a look at your air filter." He pulls out a white thing. "Look okay to you?"
"Uh..."
"How long since you've had your radiator flushed?"
"Uh..."
"It says we changed your transmission fluid last time. We'll just top it off today."
"Uh..."
"We'll check the air pressure in your tires. What is it supposed to be?"
"Uh..."
"I can look it up on your door jamb."
"Uh..."


Mechanical things are just something I can't comprehend. When the oil change guys start talking to me, I know I look confused. I feel like I'm trying to translate their words into English. Honestly, Greek would be easier. I don't have a clue what these men are saying to me. They should have thrown in a few make-believe words just to see if I'd pretend to know what they meant. I wanted to appear moderately intelligent but I don't think I pulled it off. I hope they started laughing about me as soon as I pulled away because my car knowledge is definitely comical. Sadly, I'm a stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment