Saturday, November 20, 2010

Watching the Bearcats Practice

UC Bearcats Football Practice

I was invited to a University of Cincinnati Alumni event in which we watched the UC Bearcats football team practice from the press box and then listened to UC President Gregory Williams and Head Coach Butch Jones say a few words.

I felt as giddy as a schoolgirl watching the team practice, which is ironic since I never watched a UC sporting event while I was a student there. I wasn't a sports fan then. But I am now. So as I watched the team run their exercises on the field, I couldn't help but look for some of the players I see on TV every week: Zach Collaros, DJ Woods, Isaiah Pead, and Ben Guidugli. I felt like they were stars. I couldn't believe I had the opportunity to watch them. Then it dawned on me that I could watch them anytime. Nippert Stadium isn't exactly off-limits. Even knowing that, I was thrilled to be there.

Practice ended as President Williams thanked us all for supporting our school. Then Butch Jones came up to the press box. I was starstruck immediately. He was much smaller than I'd expected, but then I only ever see him in close-ups on TV as he paces back and forth. He smiled at us and thanked us for supporting the school and then talked about what a great city Cincinnati is and how the team is family to him. His voice was hoarse from the long practice. He described a typical day in the life of a coach and talked about the stellar academics he expects from the team.

One man asked him how he planned to recruit top players and Butch launched into a spiel about Cincinnati selling itself. And even though we were all native Cincinnatians ourselves and knew that Butch Jones was a relative newcomer, we bought his pitch hook, line and sinker. I can only conclude that we, as Cincinnatians, have enourmous pride in our city, and as long as you say you do, too, we're behind you 100%. Even though the Bearcats are off to a lackluster season, when Butch Jones asked us to hang in there and support our team, we answered enthusiastically:  UC!

No comments:

Post a Comment