Saturday, February 19, 2011

Big Chairs


I find it a little odd that I have now come across 3 big chairs in my lifetime, though this is the only one I have a picture of.
The first was at a kitschy restaurant in N. Wildwood, New Jersey called Ed Zaberer’s. The place was huge; the “Zaberized” drinks were gigantic; and there was a big chair that restaurant patrons could sit in. I don’t believe there was any meaning attached to the chair, but it was a fun novelty, as was roaming around the restaurant which resembled a yard sale gone mad.
The second big chair I saw was at the Amish & Mennonite Cultural Center in Berlin, Ohio. I didn’t sit in this chair. It was created by “White” Jonas Stutzman for Christ to sit in when he returns. (You’re not allowed to take pictures of it.) Stutzman’s  large wooden chair is larger than ordinary because the Bible says we should always “hold Christ above us.”
Then I saw my third big chair: this Pampers bench. Its purpose is to give anyone who sits there a sense of what it’s like to be little. I don’t think people actually sit on it, but if they did, their feet would dangle off and they could see the world from a child’s perspective.
So, three big chairs already. I wonder how many more my future holds?

No comments:

Post a Comment