Friday, December 23, 2011

Road Trips


We spend a lot of time in the car, traveling to various places. I get excited to head out and stare out the window at the passing scenery, even if I have seen the same landscapes a hundred times. We find ways to amuse ourselves, though we each have individual preferences:

My Husband: He likes to have noise. We have to talk to him, or play music. He picks out CDs before we begin our journey. Then as we travel, he likes to do mental math, checking the speedometer and road signs that tell how many miles we have to our destinations. He adjusts his ETA down to the minute. It's a game to him.

My Daughter: She plays with her Nintendo DS. She reads a little. Sometimes we make up car bingo sheets and play Bingo through Kentucky. But mostly she likes to sleep.

My Son: He tunes us out. He reads, he listens to music, he texts, and then he sleeps.

Me: I look at the scenery. I read all the signs. I plan our next trips and always wonder if we should veer off on side trips to cities we haven't seen. I count the number of Waffle Houses at highway exits. I constantly check the atlas (yes, a huge road atlas) to see what other cities we're near and where we might jockey off the road someday to kill time. I scout for restaurants off the exit that we haven't been to yet. Then I start perusing the atlas to plan vacations in an entirely different direction next time.

1 comment:

  1. I love road trips! And signs. Stop at every state line and grab a shot. The Route 66 jaunt earlier this year was a hoot. Filled up whole cameras with photographs of signs.

    And we were wallowing in maps. Great big road atlas, Route 66 strip maps, National Parks maps. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete