Sunday, September 5, 2010

Beneath The Uniform

Officially Airmen

When someone looks out over the swarm of uniform crewcuts,
I want them to see the boy who chased dogs in the creek;
The boy who played legoes with his little sister.
I want the 5th grader who did double-jointed tricks to shine through.
I want them to know you did the Macarena at your Spanish Fiesta.
Aside from the uniform you’re an individual
Who went to Paris and watched Cartoon Network,
Who hunted for the Mona Lisa and then went to McDonalds.
You are the boy who sold paper boats instead of lemonade on the sidewalk.
And who filled a knapsack with water balloons that sold like hotcakes at a steamy summer festival.
You are the boy who sold hundreds of candy bars door to door
To earn a cheap water cooler for your room.

These are the things I see
As I look at you standing in formation.
I still see the boy chasing dogs in the creek.
Even while you're camouflaged in a line of dress blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment