Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Ryan Interview

Ryan says a few words at the premiere of "Screamshare"
This is the interview I fully expect to happen one day for E! True Hollywood Story or some other film/entertainment magazine. Surely they will want to talk to Ryan’s sister! And I will do my best not to fall into a pit of sibling jealousy.

E!:           What was it like growing up with Ryan?
Me:        I think we had a typical brother/sister relationship. Some days we were the best of friends and other days we couldn’t stand each other. But when we played, we really played. We used our imaginations and came up with all sorts of scenarios that entertained us for hours. For instance, we often pretended to own a restaurant, or compete in Olympics, or run a radio station. Ryan was always a fantastic radio announcer. I always thought he missed his calling. But apparently screenwriting was his true vocation.

E!:           Was he always a writer?
Me:        No. Actually, I was the one with writing aspirations. (I stop myself from a downward spiral into sibling rivalry here.) Ryan was the more artistic one. He was always drawing. Especially comics. If he was going to be any type of writer, I thought it would be comic books.

E!:           It sounds like you’re a family of writers. Is that so?
Me:        We definitely have some writers in our family. Our mother writes and is a fantastic artist. I think that’s where Ryan gets some of his artistic talent. And then our father is an engineer/designer. I think Ryan may get some of his ‘hard work equals success’ ethic from him.

E!:           What has Ryan’s journey to success been like?
Me:        Well, his screenwriting success started with a script called “Screamshare.” Ryan’s friend Troy had toyed with the idea of filming a movie, so the two of them decided to work together on a project. They didn’t have any money to speak of, so Ryan was tasked with writing a script for a no-budget film. He did it, and they hired aspiring actor/college students to play the parts. The film turned out better than any of us expected. It was such a thrill to go to the premiere and see it shown on a big screen.
 “Screamshare” was also shown at a Louisville film festival. After that, Ryan continued writing scripts. He and Troy collaborated on another film. You many know it:  “The State.” My husband and I actually got to be extras on that one and my brother mentions me by name in the film. (Look at me! Look at me! I write, too!)
And that brings us to where we are today. Ryan’s still writing and coming up with new ideas all the time. I imagine he’ll try branching out into new genres. He says romantic comedy is a possibility. And I know he’d love to do more with the animated TV series he’s written.

E!:           I’m sure network producers will be beating a path to his door soon.
Me:        Yes. I’m sure they will. Ryan’s no one-hit wonder. He’s the real thing. He’s got unlimited talent and determination. He’ll be huge.  But I get to say that I knew him before he was famous, and that no matter how much of a big shot he becomes, he’s still the little brother that played with stuffed animals when we were young. He knows what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment