Friday, September 17, 2010

Orphans in Haiti

Life at an orphanage in Haiti

Witnessing a slice of real life in Haiti is exactly what I'd hoped for when I volunteered to go on a mission trip. We visited several orphanages and brought toys and food to the children. We played with them, colored with them, and sang with them. We held them for hours and let them teach us some Creole. I enjoyed these visits, but knew they were also manufactured. We were expected guests and the children anticipated our arrival. They cleaned up the grounds, wore their best clothes, and performed songs for us. It was wonderful.

But on the day I took this picture, another missionary and I arrived at the orphanage unannounced. We were picking up truck parts for a broken-down truck, and we were not expected. The scene at the orphanage was much different this time; more genuine, I'm sure.

The children were eating burnt beans and rice from an old pot with jagged edges. Some of the children were only partially dressed. We didn't see any adults while we were there, though it hardly mattered. The children weren't always supervised. They were still gracious, though not as forthcoming as they'd been the day before. Now they seemed shy; unsure of why we were there. While my friend and I waited for the truck parts, we watched these children live their lives. It was a scene I'd hoped to see on my trip; a glimpse of life in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment