Sunday, February 26, 2012

Traveling via Books (for now)

Perhaps another beach vacation soon??

I've mentioned Bookcrossing, my favorite hobby, in an earlier post. I think I've also mentioned that I'm suffering from a severe case of wanderlust right now. I'm not sure if the current bookboxes that have arrived on my doorstep have alleviated any of this travel envy, or just continue to feed into it.

As part of Bookcrossing, I often sign up for bookboxes. Someone puts together a box of books, usually centering on some sort of theme (biographies, romance, science fiction, or titles that have a woman's name in them, a number, or some reference to a place, etc..). Those interested can sign up to receive the box, and then once it comes to your house, you choose the books you want from the box, replace the same number of books that you took, and then send it on to the next person. I LOVE bookboxes.

I just finished making my picks from the "Travel Narrative Bookbox" (which is my favorite genre) and sent it on its merry way. Now the "Vacation Bookbox" has arrived. It is full of books with strong settings that one could imagine as vacation spots. Though honestly, there are few places I can't imagine as vacation spots. Still, books that qualify for this box need to have a strong setting.

Until I can strike off down the road or through the air on a real vacation, these books will have to suffice. I think they're actually making my wanderlust worse, but I can read about exotic places until I take vacation. Then I'll take these wonderful books with me to release.

1 comment:

  1. *Sigh*.... I love Bookcrossing too! Haven't been in a book box in ages! However, this year, I'm looking into working on my garden; so need all the money I can lay my hands on to do that. :)

    Enjoy your books and reading. :D

    ReplyDelete