Thursday, May 10, 2012

Search & Rescue



My son took part in a Search & Rescue hunt yesterday for a missing 10-year-old boy. He was found today after wandering away from his school on Tuesday. Apparently, he was hiding in the woods from rescuers. My son described it this way:

Searching for someone in unfamiliar woods where they are familiar is very unnerving in a sense. I kept seeing tree clusters that looked like little forts, but who knows if they were or not. Maybe he was there watching us... It was just a very strange experience. He was running/hiding from us, so he had a massive upperhand.


I always thought I'd like to take part in something like this, though now that he's shared his experience, I see that it may be nothing like what I imagine. I think we forget -- sometimes the missing don't want to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment