Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Swim Lessons



This is so embarrassing, Corky thought to himself. All my friends already know how to swim. They get to go out in the ocean and everything, while I have to learn how to swim with the tadpoles. It isn't fair!

"Come on, Corky!" Coach Bach bellowed. "Kick those legs! Harder! Faster! You need to get to the end of the pool if you want to get out of the water today."

Corky rocked back and forth as he paddled his feet. He felt himself sinking and struggled to keep his head above water.

"Just dog paddle," one of the baby frogs whispered to him right before he shot forward and surpassed Corky in the water. Corky kicked a little harder in the frog's wake, but then sputtered to a stop and let his shell submerge again.

I'm not a dog. Or a frog. Or a shark, or dolphin or fish. I'm a turtle and I don't want to swim anymore, he thought defiantly. The coach swam up beside him.

"I'm going to tell you one more time, Corky. Kick those legs or you're going to be soup."

No comments:

Post a Comment