Sunday, January 22, 2012

Winter 24-Hour Short Story Contest

Once again I entered the WritersWeekly 24-Hour Short Story Contest  in which entrants are emailed a topic at noon on Saturday and have until noon Sunday to write a story. Here was the opening paragraph this time:

Blue ice stretched to the horizon, fading into the blinding rays of another waning winter sun. She shivered violently as the shifting mass groaned under her feet. She instinctively glanced down, looking for cracks under the transparent sheen. Suddenly, she tensed and dropped to her knees.
Desperately clawing at the ice, she screamed.

As always, we're advised not to go with our first idea since many other people may come up with the same one. Take a moment to think about where you would take this story.


Mendenhall Glacier
Juneau, Alaska
 
My initial reaction was that she was about to fall through the ice, then just as quickly I got the idea that she saw the keys to her escape boat sinking below the ice and knew she'd be stranded. Then, like my husband, I imagined she saw a body below the surface. My daughter thought she might have seen her pet. Then my husband offered the idea that she was straddling a fissure on a glacier. I liked that one.

But part of the fun of these contests for me is sitting down and brainstorming with my daughter. So we did that and she came up with a storyline that I would have never thought of on my own. I went with that one. I'll share it on my blog in about six weeks after the contest has been judged.

1 comment: