|The jury box in the Monroe County Courthouse |
Last night during the 50th anniversary showing of "To Kill a Mockingbird," we logged into Viggle and learned all sorts of movie trivia that I'll share here along with other trivia I found.
- The courthouse used in the movie was an exact replica of the Monroe County Courthouse where Harper Lee's father tried cases as an attorney. The Monroeville courthouse is now a museum.
- Mary Badham, who played Scout, did not read the book until she was grown.
- Gregory Peck did his 9-minute summation speech in one take.
- Brock Peters, who played Tom Robinson, gave the eulogy at Gregory Peck's funeral.
- Rock Hudson was the studio's first choice for the role of Atticus.
- The pennies in the cigar box were dated 1962, even though the setting took place in 1932.
- Robert Duvall named many of his dogs "Boo Radley."
- Atticus Finch was named the top movie hero in the last 100 years by the American Film Institute.
- Robert Duvall stayed out of the sun for six weeks and died his hair blond for the role of Boo Radley.
- Mary Badham was the youngest girl nominated for an Oscar for her role as Scout, but lost out to another child -- Patty Duke, who played Helen Keller in "The Miracle Worker."